Monday, August 28, 2006

Progressive Repetitive Hyperfectionism

I've only known one person with progressive repetitive hyperfectionist syndrome. His name was Jason and he worked at the same movie theater that I did. As is typical, the disease was barely noticeable at first. If he made a mistake giving change, he would put all the money back in the drawer and start over.

Within three months, he would give the money back to the customer and say, "How can I help you?" The customer would have to ask for their popcorn and Coke as if nothing ever happened.

Within six months, if Jason made a mistake, he would actually take off his uniform, go out to his car, come back, and put his uniform on, like he was starting a new shift. In the last stages of the disease, he would go home to bed, shave, change his underwear, and then come back in. That's when the manager fired him. I haven't heard from Jason since.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a victim of progressive repetitive hyperperfectionism myself, and it saddens me when people show so little compattion an

9:01 AM  
Blogger Lew said...

I knew a guy, and he would just tap his pocket when he went though a door to see if he had his keys. Then he started doing it when getting out of the car. He never got locked out. Then he started doing it when he went through a public door, then when he took his wallet out, then later on he started being even more compulsive. Last time I saw him he would tap his pocket every time he took a drink and finished a sentance. But they had a psycologist try to help him, the guy took his keys, and he flipped out, and started banging his pants pocket and he's been doing that ever since, he's completely incoherant. They tried putting his keys back but he just keep hitting his pocket. He's locked in a padded cell. I have to go see him next week.

2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a victim of progressive repetitive hyperperfectionism myself, and it saddens me when people show so little compassion and understanding about the disease. It is treatable in some cases, but prgress is

9:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a victim of progressive repetitive hyperperfectionism myself, and it saddens me when people show so little compassion and understanding about the disease. It is treatable in some cases, but progress is often slow and accompanied by setbacks. If we are given enough chances, we can eventually get anything rihgt

8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home